CdF International Group was created in 2007 when the businesses of Compañía General de Tabacos de Filipinas S.A. of Spain and Lippoel Leaf B.V. of the Netherlands, along with their operating subsidiaries, were purchased by an investment group and combined to form a new, independent, multinational leaf dealer.
Compañía General de Tabacos de Filipinas S.A. (CdF): Frequently referred to as The Tabacalera, CdF was founded in Barcelona on November 26th 1881 by Mr. Antonio López y López, first Marquis of Comillas, in association with Banco Hispano Colonial, Banque de Paris et des Pays Bas and Sociedad General de Crédito Mobiliario Español. The object of the company was to take over the operations of the tobacco factories owned by the Spanish Government in the Philippines where the abolition of the tobacco monopoly had just been decreed. It also intended to devote itself to the more general and ambitious purposes of developing the riches of the Islands, fostering agriculture, industry and trade. In 1882, its shares were quoted on the stock exchanges of Madrid, Barcelona and Paris.
For the purchase and export of Tobacco, the company set up a close network of agencies and sub-agencies in the tobacco region, with warehouses for the treatment, grading and preparation of Tobacco. In 1884, the company obtained the title of tobacco provider to the Royal Houses of Spain, Italy and Portugal. By the beginning of the Twentieth century, the Company supplied tobacco to La Regie (France) and the monopolies of Morocco, Tunis, and Austria.Next